Joint Winter Conference ended yesterday morning, and it was
awesome. The girls that we had sign up
for JWC ended up not being able to come, so we spent a lot of time with some of
the student leaders at Wits and meeting new people from other regions and
universities. Andrew Holbrook really
spent a lot of time talking to us from Titus about God’s grace, what it means
to us and what it does for us, and then how we should live in light of
that. I heard many of the students
talking about how they had begun to finally understand what that means, and how
it changed their view of God. Even for
myself, who has heard that message many times, it was well needed and an
amazing reminder of how loving the Lord is to us, and our call to renounce
ungodliness and live upright lives.
There was also a point during his talk that he asked the audience to
show how many people lived outside of South Africa, and we found out that there
were over 12 different countries represented at this conference. I do not know of any girls personally that
became Christians over those days, but I do know of several men and women that
professed faith for the first time.
We had a worship night on our last night there, which was
probably my favorite experience at the JWC.
The worship team sang several songs in English at the beginning of the
evening, and then moved into a time of worshipping God in their languages. I took several videos that I hope I am able
to post later on here to share with you, but it was so cool to hear them
singing in Zulu, Xhosa, and Africaans.
People were dancing and laughing, praising God and worshipping Him with
songs of praise, and it was so joyful and wonderful to stand beside people from
a different nation than myself and worship the same God. I wish that we worshipped in that way in the
United States because after this trip I have come to see that dancing is such
an awesome way to express the joy we find in Christ.
All of the students that came to the Joint Winter Conference
Wits Students at the Joint Winter Conference
So, this begins the first of a lot of “lasts.” This Tuesday
was the final time that we were with the South African students, and there were
many tears shed and pictures taken as we hugged them goodbye. The women on our team have really grown to
love the leaders that we have worked alongside and the first year students that
we have met, and it was difficult to believe that our time in ministry here has
finally come to an end.
Today we are spending time resting from the JWC and
preparing for the two-day safari we are going on tomorrow, which is our last
excursion. We will be going to
Pilansburg Game Park and camping at the reserve for the first night, and then
we are spending the other night in a hotel.
Most of us are really excited because we are also getting to go on a
“Bush Walk,” where we are able to walk through the park without being in a
vehicle. Bill told us we will be
escorted by men with guns, because we will be walking through areas where there
are predators. Apparently, these guards
have had to shoot rhinos that have charged at groups they are leading once or
twice, so the guys on our team got really excited when they found out that they
will be so close to these animals. I’m
really excited for all of this; I mean, I never ever though I would get to go
on a safari in Africa, so I feel like these are going to be some amazing
memories over the next couple of days.
We will also be spending a lot of time processing our trip
over the next five days before we come home.
We will be spending time each night encouraging each other with things
that we have seen over our time living together and sharing memories from our
trip. We were told that these next
several days are for us to rest, reflect, recreate, and re-enter (life at
home). I don’t think it has completely
hit me yet that everything we spent so long preparing for is almost over. I’m not sure if it’s that my heart doesn’t
believe it or my head is choosing to ignore it, but there are so many ways that
I am attached to this place and I don’t think I have accepted that in a week I
will not longer be here. I’m excited to
see everyone, but having a hard time with the idea that I will have to leave my
new home at the Sunbury Guest House and the campus of Wits. I love South Africa. I love the food, the
culture, the people, the history, the languages, and the God that is moving
among those living here. I am grateful
and thankful that I was able to witness a small part of how God is redeeming
this city, and this country, to himself, and I will never forget the memories
that were made here and the people that we have grown to love. There are so many things that a blog post
could not tell and that pictures could not convey to you about this trip and
experience, but I wish that I could fully express how thankful I am that I was
called here by God and sent her by those of you that so graciously loved and
supported me.
This will be my last blog post until I return home, because
I don’t think I will get internet and this next week will probably be too
rushed with packing and preparations to return for me to write another
one. However, our team is currently editing and putting together a video of our time here with some testimonies from students and footage from excursions and ministry. I'll share it on here as soon as we are finished with it. I also have several mini-videos of my own of different things from this trip, but the internet here is too slow to post them so I will do that also when I get back to the US. Thank you for reading this and
loving myself and my team; see you all in six days!
In Him,
Katlyn
Ps- I ate chicken feet today. Not too bad.
Ps- I ate chicken feet today. Not too bad.

No comments:
Post a Comment