Short re-cap of my thoughts over the last 6 months.
When I left summer beach project my heart longed to do more than just return to Charlotte. My heart longed to bring Christ to the world outside of the United States, and I began to seriously consider doing missions work overseas once I had finished my master's degree. I began to do research through the Joshua Project for countries that needed the gospel the most and also looked at the missions organizations my grandparents had worked with. I thought for certain that I was going to be doing something of this nature after college, and then the Lord took me to Witherspoon, an international dorm on campus at UNCC.
My good friend Brenden and I started a Bible study in this dorm that investigated who Jesus was and how He impacts our lives. I can honestly say that doing this Bible study, though it did not last long, was one of the highlights of my semester. I absolutely loved leading college students and growing as I studied God's word in preparation for these nights. For the first time, I began to consider seriously whether or not I should stay in the United States and do ministry, either part-time or full time. God gave me a heart for the nations but I believe that He also wanted me to consider the impact that is needed in America as well, and the mission field available to me here. I also do love to teach, and thought that maybe teaching and doing ministry part-time would be a viable option, because in reality part of me would love to do something with the degrees I will have.
Needless to say, my heart for world missions and my love for ministry have been a lot for me to consider as I try to determine where the Lord is calling me after graduate school. As I have prayed and petitioned the Lord for clarity and direction in my life, I kept feeling like the Lord was saying, "Just wait...your answers are coming."
And I believe that a door has opened to help me determine many of those answers, just like He promised.
Last summer, as many of you know, I spent an AMAZING eight weeks at the Summer Beach Project, and I began to pray that the Lord would prepare me to be a leader and return to beach project. I kind of assumed this was the next step for me, and did not really consider any possible alternatives. The funny thing about God is that He delights so much in thwarting my plans and bringing about things that are so much better. As I sat down with Kristin, our leader at UNCC, I was prepared to talk about plans for this summer. I anticipated hearing her ask me to be a room leader. What I was not expecting, however, was to hear what she actually said...
"Katlyn, I would like for you to begin praying about going to South Africa this summer."
.... wait, what?
No lie, my hands literally flew to my head and my mouth dropped open; I imagine looking at it from her point of view was pretty funny. I was in complete and total shock. At no point in time this semester did I dream I would be invited to South Africa for the summer with Campus Outreach, but I knew within a day or two of the invitation that this challenge was no accident. I felt like maybe God had just slapped me with my answer to prayer.
I have since accepted the offer to live in South Africa and anticipate that this summer will bring with it the clarity I have been seeking. Not only will I be overseas, but I will be getting experience doing full time ministry for the first time in my life. I get to do two of the things that I love, and I truly believe that the Lord will provide me with answers and direction in my time in South Africa. I ask that, if you get the time, to please pray for me as I make preparations to raise the support for the CCP, that God prepares my heart to reach the people of Johannesburg, and that he would use our team to change lives. More information on the CCP is below.

No comments:
Post a Comment