Sunday, February 3, 2013

New Year's Rez


“Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.” (1 Peter 3:3-4)

Just a short update on something new I’m doing:

Some of the most beautiful women I know are also the most simple women I know.  They’re not distracted by the flashiness of the latest trend and are content in the things that the Lord has given them.  I feel like I used to be much more content and simple in how I dressed, but for some reason over the last 8 months I have caught myself spending unnecessarily on clothes or jewelry that I don’t need to keep up with the latest trend. 

I was talking to someone a few months ago about how we use our money, and one of the points in our conversation I said, “money can be a great indicator of what our idols are.  Where you invest the majority of the free money you have, that probably shows what you value the most.”  And as soon as I said that I felt incredibly guilty, because without realizing it I had awoken to the realization that an idol in my life had taken root, and it came in the form of clothing and materialism.  It came on slowly and quietly, and before I knew it I looked at my closet and didn’t have anywhere to put my newest shirt or my latest pair of shoes.  I felt pretty pathetic; since when did I care so much about looking nice that I was willing to spend the majority of my money on it? It kind of felt like my wake up call.  So I spent a little time praying about this, and this is how my conversation (in my mind) went:

Lord, I know I spend a lot of money on clothes, but is that really wrong? I just like looking nice!

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” 

But God, I don’t love the world! I like getting compliments on what I wear!

“For [are you] now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or [are you] trying to please man? If [you] were still trying to please man, [you] would not be a servant of Christ.”

So Lord, are you saying that it is wrong for me to buy new clothes period?  What exactly is it that you are wanting me to get from this??

“Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”


Well dang.


So, in an effort to dethrone the idols of my life, I made a New Year’s Resolution.  I never make them, but this year I made one that I plan on fighting to keep.  I am not purchasing any clothing until at least August 17th, (the day before my birthday), but there is a chance I might take this through the entire year.  This includes not only clothing, but also shoes and jewelry of any kind. So far, I’ve made it a little over a month, and I’m already experiencing a lot more of Jesus as I find that the things he has blessed me with are more than enough.  It’s going to be really hard for me; my roommates have been holding me accountable and I think that they will see my war with materialism hit many highs and lows.  But, I know in my heart that Jesus is a far greater treasure than anything money could buy me.  I want more of Him.  And I am really excited how he will use this period of time to transform and incline my heart further toward him.

Katlyn  

No comments:

Post a Comment